Sunday, May 17, 2009

Proper Proust answers

1. Where would you most like to live?
I really like living in London.
I would quite like to give Peru a go though.
I am also partial to (in no particular order) Vancouver, Seattle, Paris, Barcelona.

2. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Watching my dad gradually suffocate, being powerless to do anything about it.
And then, in more general terms, being cold and having wet feet.

3. Who are your favorite writers?
Chuck Palanuik, Douglas Coupland, Barbara Kingsolver, Will Self, JD Robb, Nora Roberts

4. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Erm, I don’t really.Flippancy dictates that I come up with a side splitting answer but I don’t have one.

5. What is your most treasured possession?
My mates and my fabulous family. Other than that, I have a Tag Hauer watch that I got in Grand Cayman as a teen, a Cusco flag ring that’s my current jewellery best friend and some guitars that I never play. Nice.

6. What are your favorite names?
I like Apollo and Wolf. Isaac and Mackenzie. Mieke. Kara.

7. What is one selfish thing you would like to do before you die?
Have a baby. But shhh don't tell.
Because it is also possible that the answer to this question is :
remain single and childless.

14.Which words or phrases do you most overuse? 
‘No worries’. Seriously, I must have said it a million times over the last three days to everyone I saw. I also overuse the f word. I know. you're all terribly shocked.

15.What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Music, art and literature.
I'm a prodigous, voracious reader, music is a passion and certain art really moves me.

16. When and where were you happiest? 
I try to work it in wherever possible. I’m generally pretty content, barring some ranting.
I confess that I sometimes find it easier to be happier in abstract. IE, I was happy on the Inca Trail, but I'm happier looking back on bits of the experience (in particular Day 2, HerImperialMajesty's ascent in the neverending Inca staircase of Mordor).
That said, I'm happy when I'm travelling as I love hanging out places and having an explore, with some food. Nosing about.

17.Which talent would you most like to have? 
I would like to be able to play the guitar. So I think maybe instead of dreaming about it and reading about it and messing about kind of giving it a try, I should perhaps get off my oversized bottom and get on with it now.

18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I would maintain my motivation better in the face of adversity. (a knock on effect of this skill would be a diminishment of the aforementioned bottom.)

19. What do you consider your greatest achievement? 
Friends that I’ve have for years.

20.If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
I’d like to be an esteemed cat. Or a humming bird on the Inca Trail please. Or a llama. They're so funky, with their earrings.


7. What is your current state of mind?
I’m a good bone weary after a hectic weekend. I’m a little let down to find out it’s Sunday night and I have to go to work in a few short hours. I’m pleased to recall that it’s Chelsea Flower Show this week and that I’m working there 2 days, which will be splendid and also that it’s Bank Holiday on the weekend, so I get an extra day in God’s County, Nottinghamshire, over the weekend.

8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Everything in moderation. Especially moderation.
People who bang on about their virtues generally aren’t as virtuous as they’d like.

9. On what occasion do you lie?
On most occasions, but only to myself and I don’t believe me much. I'm not good a lying to save people's feelings, as that often involves permitting them to look in some way like a nitwit and that's not a situation I'd like anyone to put me in.

10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
My bottom is too big. And I’ve got a saggy tum at present, which is new and NOT to become a permanent feature. Thus I just rejoined the gym and will go and get the card and stuff sorted for tomorrow.
I can make any outfit look like I wore it to be in about 5 minutes, merely by putting it on.

11. Which living person do you most despise?
I’m just not a hater. There are things and behaviours that baffle me but no.
I do however despise olives.

12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
Intellect and humour. Naughtiness. Good arms. The bits. Nice ears.
NO white sports socks.

13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Wit and humour. See. I’m pretty even handed. I’d like lots of clever funny folk around me please.

Can all folk be kind please? And 'proper'.

. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
I’m not sure that is a practical concept. With the sweet, so comes the sour, or life would turn into a flat line, surely.


2. What is your greatest fear?
I can’t have children - I can have children -- I will have children and they will bore me rigid.
Watching my dad die - or worse, not being there for some reason when the end finally arrives.
Ranked equally with the death of my mother.
Because then I really will be the last dragon and there will be no one to be proud of me or worry about me or give a little telling off.

3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Sloth. Giving up if excellence isn’t immediate.

4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Weakness.
The inability to spell definitely correctly.

5. Which living person do you most admire?
Real people that I actually know for the most part.

6. What is your greatest extravagance?
Coffee. CDs, Gigs.
Actually, gigs should definitely be the winner there. If we added up the cost of every band I’ve seen and t shirt I’ve bought and festival I’ve gone to since my first one at age 12, I could probably buy me a house in central london with a garden.
But I wouldn’t be interesting or diverse enough to want one without that ongoing exposure, so there!


Please note, i'm not responsible for the random numbering, I lifted it off the Women's Colony.

Peace out people, be good to yourselves because Monday cometh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'll always be around to give you a proper proud telling off!